Saturday, March 21, 2015

What to do in Denver

After taking a little (spring) break from blogging, I'm excited to be back and to share with you what I did this past week! While some spent the small hiatus on the beach or abroad, I flew west to towards the mountains to spend some quality time with family in Denver.

I've never been to Colorado before, so for 5 days, my amazing godmother and younger cousin showed me all of the city's finest. Denver is so beautiful and I had the best time exploring, relaxing, and, of course, eating! My aunt is the itinerary queen, so my trip to-do list was packed. I can't wait to share, but since there was so much, I've decided to break it up into two posts: one for "activities" and one for "food!" 

For now, here are a few of my new favorite places in and around Denver.



1. The Broadmoor Hotel  

Not far from Denver, set against the mountains of Colorado Springs is quite possibly the most incredible hotel I have ever visited. The Broadmoor is so beautiful, luxurious and historic, that it was tough to leave after our one night stay, although, we certainly made the most of it! We had the best time exploring the buildings, swimming in the pool, and having dinner in La Taverne.

It's definitely worth a visit, and, on your way, be sure to drive through the Garden of the Gods to see an incredible national landmark. 


The stunning view from our room of the mountains and the Broadmoor West building. 


My cousin, Matthew is such a little model.


Side Note: In every hotel, you should always spend some time taking mirror pics and playing in the curtains. 


2. Pikes Peak Cog Railway

At 14,115 feet above sea level, Pikes Peak mountain is a sight to behold. You can travel up the mountain in small train for stunning views of Colorado and I'm told that at the summit there are donuts! Given the recent snow, however, we were only able to make it 3/4 of the way up. It was still fun and so beautiful, though, and reaching the summit just gives me a reason to go back!
  

[Anthropologie Sunglasses, similar] [Loft Sweater] [Loft Necklace


The incredible view. 
Side Note: I love pictures of people taking pictures


3. Union Station

Denver's recently remodeled Union Station is a marvel, perfect for shopping, snacking and I'm sure traveling. The interior architecture is truly dazzling and at 100 years old, it's a beautiful blend of modern and historic. 



Be sure to stop at the Milkbox in Union Station for some delicious ice cream from local Denver shop Little Man. The milkshakes were incredible and they even do boozy blends. I had Espresso Ice cream with Baileys and it was beyond amazing!  


4. Hammond's Candy Factory Tour 

If you're a dessert lover like me, this tour is a must. Hammond's is a Denver based national gourmet candy brand that is still hand-crafting its products, today. A short tour shows you how they do it and what better way to end a tour than in a gift shop full of delicious candy and chocolate?


Also, you get these super cool hats. #bonus


5. Colorado State Capitol  

I loved our trip to the State Capitol in Denver. With its gold dome and white columns, the exterior is beautifully reminiscent of the United States capitol, with the interior being equally impressive. There's also a fun detail on the steps leading up to main doors, where the 15th is marked as exactly one mile above sea level. 


[Old Navy Pixie Ankle Pants] [Via Spiga boots, similar]

Even just writing this makes me miss Colorado. Somehow driving just doesn't feel the same on the East Coast without seeing the mountains to the west! 

 Be sure to check back tomorrow, when I'll be sharing all of food related favorites from the trip.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment