Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Better for You Peanut Butter Banana Cookies


Ever since I shared my first original recipe on Whale & Wishbone for Salted Caramel Espresso Cookies, I've been thinking about what my next cookie concoction would be. Given that the main internal conflict in my life is always my desire to bake versus my desire to be healthy, I knew I wanted to make something that wasn't too high in fat and sugary goodness.  


So I started this cookie creation with a palette idea featuring 4 main "better for you" ingredients. These were PB2 (powdered peanut butter), banana, old fashioned oats and dark chocolate chips. The idea was for these ingredients to act as substitutes for less healthy ones. PB2 is my absolute favorite substitute for regular peanut butter because it has significantly less fat and a less sugary flavor. The PB2 and banana combo also perfectly acts as a healthier base than butter, which you won't find at all in this recipe! 


I get so much satisfaction out of creating peanut butter out of the PB2 powder. What's great is that you can mix it to the exact consistency you like. 



I'm so obsessed with my Anthropologie swan measuring cups. 
Adorably whimsical? Yes. Practical? Questionable at best.   



Yassss chocolate chips. 





These cookies are soft and cake-like in consistency and especially delicious when warm. So delicious, in fact, that I had trouble keeping them from disappearing before I could take final pictures! The chocolate chips inside stay super melty for a surprising long time which was so amazing. I feel like with the banana and oats they would make a perfect breakfast cookie. I'm so looking forward to having one with tea tomorrow morning (the word morning here is being used loosely and really refers to whatever time I get up). 


PB2 Banana Cookies with dark chocolate chips
(makes 24)


[Ingredients] 
1 cup PB2  
1/2 cup cool water
1 mashed banana 
1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup old fashioned oats


[Directions]
Preheat the Oven to 350 F

Add water to PB2 until the peanut butter is a creamy consistency
Tip: this may require a little extra water

Throughly mix mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine with brown sugar. Add egg and beat until combined.

Add salt, baking soda, and flour to form dough.

Fold in dark chocolate chips and old fashioned oats.

Drop rough heaping tablespoons of dough onto cookie trays lined with parchment paper.
Tip: the cookies don't spread so they can be placed fairly close

Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are slightly golden. Transfer cookies to cooling rack and allow to cool for 3 minutes.

Cookies are best enjoyed warm. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment